An Introduction

This blog is a little bit about everything. My life as a mother, a wife, and owner of a home with an acre. We like to call it our family farm. My family currently consists of the human members- my husband, S and our two beautiful girls, B and O; then there are the animals- our dogs, Charlie & Lola Belle and our Chickens. Check back often, you never know when we'll add a new member! ; )

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Rudy is learning to crow...

Last week when I was on my way to feed the goats and chickens I heard a noise.  I wasn't quite sure what it was, but as I got closer, I realized it was coming from my yard.  Then when I got even closer I realized... it was Rudy!  He is starting to crow and right now he's got the start of it down, but it's not quote a full-fledged cock-a-doodle-doo.  He's on his way, though- and he's pretty adorable doing it.  Today I finally caught it on video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rnRRA89ZMM
And since I'm sharing videos- here are some others that I have to share.  One is when I was trying to get Rudy on camera, but Dallas and Dixie wouldn't have it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSWcD6HzdlA
And then my beautiful little girls doing what they love to do any time we drive anywhere, even 2 minutes away.  ; )  Rockin' out!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni2DBt3EteM
Some more, hopefully, big news... the chicken coop might possibly be on it's way!  My brother says he will be starting it next week and it should be completed in about 2 weeks.  Yay!  He did send me some pics of a model coop and I had to ask him about one revision, so I'm hoping that doesn't delay the process.  I guess we won't know until the day it shows up here, but I so look forward to that day (and so do my chickens)!

We also met with a dog today who is in need of a home.  We found him online and he is currently at a foster home with a rescue organization.  Two people from the rescue brought him to our house to let us meet him and so that they could do their standard "home check" for adoptions.  We had also filled out their 5 page (or so) adoption application last week.  So, they were here for maybe an hour and a half, they looked around our house, our backyard, our front yard, the goat pen and chicken run.  Then we met the dog, who is adorable.  Then they had us take a walk down the street with Charlie to allow him to meet the new dog away from "his territory".  We walked, and walked, and walked.  They wanted them to walk one in front of the other, then switch, then side by side- with no sniffing, then, finally we brought them back towards the house and allowed them, on leash, to interact.  Of course, they were fine and we brought them in the house to allow further interaction and let the new dog sniff around the house a bit.  I did not mind any of this process one bit, that is until they told me that we were one of three applicants who want this dog and they would be doing this with all of us to see who they will choose as the best fit for him.  What?!  My understanding was that there were multiple applications for this dog and ours was their first choice, which was why we were doing the whole "home check" thing.  I figured at that point, unless they saw some red flags about us, or we didn't think he was a good fit, we would be able to decide if we wanted to adopt him.  Well... nope, not the case.  They are screening us and they will decide who gets the dog.  I thought we were doing a good thing here trying to give a dog in need a good home.  Hmmm.  I guess not at this rescue.  So, now we're supposed to wait to hear from them in the next week or more.  I'm thinking I'll still be looking for other doggie options while we wait to hear.  Let me add, however, that these are wonderful people who volunteer and take this time to help these dogs find homes.  It is great and they are great for doing it.  I just think we're going a little overboard in this case.  ; )  Thanks for hanging in there through my little vent.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

*I'm sorry the links for You Tube are not working as links, I'm new to this and not sure why they are not clickable links.  They worked on Facebook...?  I guess unless I figure it out you'll have to copy and paste them to watch.  Do it... it's totally worth it!*

No comments:

Post a Comment