An Introduction

This blog is a little bit about everything. My life as a mother, a wife, and owner of a home with an acre. We like to call it our family farm. My family currently consists of the human members- my husband, S and our two beautiful girls, B and O; then there are the animals- our dogs, Charlie & Lola Belle and our Chickens. Check back often, you never know when we'll add a new member! ; )

Friday, February 24, 2012

We have pips!


When a baby chick starts to hatch from an egg, first it "pips" the egg and you'll see a little hole pecked from the inside out.  Then it needs some rest, and as time goes on it will "zip" the egg, meaning it will continue to peck near that first pip, until it makes a section big enough that it can push through and get itself out of the egg.  This process is slow, since the chick needs lots of rest during all of it.  I believe it can even take a day or so.  Well, right now we have 2 eggs that are "pipped" and one that is peeping, but not yet pipped.  Yep- I can hear the little chick inside peeping!  The 2 pipped eggs are peeping, too, of course.  I'm so excited because, as you know, I was not positive these eggs would result in a hatch... but it looks like our mama hen did her job.
I have video of the egg with the most shell pushed off peeping... listen closely!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIiblJ-rcFI&feature=youtu.be

Isn't it neat and exciting?!  I can't wait to see these little fuzzies!

2 comments:

  1. I can't help but to like you. A surrogate with chickens, a goat and acre and you hatch chicks! Nice! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks- I just checked out your 2 blogs as well and I thought it was great to find someone else with all these things in common. ; )

      Delete