An Introduction

This blog is a little bit about everything. My life as a mother, a wife, and owner of a home with an acre. We like to call it our family farm. My family currently consists of the human members- my husband, S and our two beautiful girls, B and O; then there are the animals- our dogs, Charlie & Lola Belle and our Chickens. Check back often, you never know when we'll add a new member! ; )

Friday, July 15, 2011

A not so great update

Well, one of our pullets (young female chicken), Pixie, is not doing so well.  She doesn't seem sick, and I can't see any visible injuries, but her leg is injured in some way.  Right now I don't know if it's a condition, an injury, a slipped tendon, or many other possibilities.  She is not able to walk much, and the leg seems to just not do what she wants it to, like she can't control it very well.  She is still eating and drinking and staying strong, so that's a good sign.  I was keeping her in with the others so she wouldn't be lonely... until last night when I went to check on them around bedtime and they were all cuddled together- but she had been pushed or rolled on to her back and was stuck that way in the middle of the cuddle huddle.  Poor thing couldn't turn herself back over.  So, I moved her into a box built for one back in the garage bathroom.  She seems to be doing ok, even though she's by herself.  Maybe she's glad to be able to rest for now and not have to deal with the crowd when it's time to eat.
Here is Pixie in the run, before I moved her to the garage:
And here she is in her garage apartment:

No comments:

Post a Comment