An Introduction

This blog is a little bit about everything. My life as a mother, a wife, and owner of a home with an acre. We like to call it our family farm. My family currently consists of the human members- my husband, S and our two beautiful girls, B and O; then there are the animals- our dogs, Charlie & Lola Belle and our Chickens. Check back often, you never know when we'll add a new member! ; )

Monday, April 9, 2012

I think we have a boy and a girl



Our newest hatched additions, Star (black) and Peep (yellow), are still growing like crazy- here they are at 6 weeks!  It looks like we may have a boy and a girl.  Peep definitely has a lot of rooster-like traits, so I'm pretty sure he's a he.  Star, on the other hand, just doesn't have those rooster like qualities, so I'm assuming she's a she- but we'll see.  Rudy didn't show his masculine traits until I little older, if I remember correctly, so I guess Star could still be a boy- but I'd bet against it.  I'm not sure what we're going to do at this point, because I was not planning on keeping any more roosters- I'm not even sure I'm going to keep Rudy around much longer, so for now I'll just keep watching them grow and not think about it.  A little while back we moved the chicks into the broody condo section of the coop, so they can get used to being outside with the others- but they are still out of reach of the full grown chickens.  This is supposed to be a good way to prepare everyone for the day when the chicks will be integrated with the others.  The others can hear and see the chicks, hopefully getting them used to them and feeling like they are part of the flock.  We'll see when that day comes, but we have a little while to go still.

No comments:

Post a Comment